Sunday, September 12, 2010

PUSHING THE HOLIDAY SEASON

Ok, it's bad enough that we have to deal with two-months-early holiday decorations in the retail world, but does the natural world have to get in on it as well?


A Halloween bug! Mess loads have been all over the flowers (possibly hyssop-leaved thoroughwort) blooming all over the Avalon yard this week.


They're not really bugs, though; they are Ermine Moths, aka Ailanthus Webworm Moths. I knew where to start looking* for an id when I saw the beasties' tongues in the photos.

* Ha! I was able to get to my stash of field guides, including my insect and moth guides, without toppling the pile in front of the bookcase. Bring on the bugs! (Getting a second chance to see that giant beetle that crossed the drive the other day would be nice...)