Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Less-creepy spiny spider…


Another variety of spiny spider is also living on my front deck. This one is an Arrow-shaped Micrathena and is kindly (wisely) living amongst the hanging plants under the umbrella, so she isn't in my way.


A half-inch long spider against a busy background isn't easy to photograph (especially without a macro lens) and I'm afraid I scared the beejeebers out of her at first try. She leapt off her web straight at me when I put my finger up to give the camera something to focus on. How convenient that she landed on a nice solid background that contrasted so well with her colors...


Left alone (and uneaten) for awhile, she returned to her web and I came back with the DSLR, manual focus, and a steadier hand.





Okay, one more creepy spider pic: I moved the Spiny Micrathena's web again this morning... So I took her photo again while I was at it. (Not sure what she's doing with the drop of water that it looks like she's holding.)