Thursday, May 3, 2012

More winged dancers...

This time it's damselflies! Okay, so they aren't exactly done yet...




These little beauties(-to-be) showed up in one of my water garden containers this year! I'm sooo glad I listened to Pat Sutton when I mentioned to her last year that I wished to get some Gambusia (mosquito fish) to control the skeeter larvae and she replied with a gasp, "No, don't do that!"


Given that most of my Aquatic Biology course was spent flipping over rocks in running streams, I had completely forgotten that there are some insects whose aquatic larvae/nymphs prefer still water...




The pot to the left rear of the grouping above is the one with the damselfly nymphs--and no skeeters. The largest "pond" (out of shot here; largest pot in photo below) has mosquito larvae but no damselfly nymphs. Hmmm... *lol* Yes, damselflies and their heftier cousins the dragonflies are predatory. But I still want fish; oh, decisions, decisions...