Sunday, July 21, 2013

Snake in the (sort of) Grass.

Technically, it was in the irises... I was sitting on my deck last week, braving the bugs and heat, when the iris leaves next to the front walk started waving in the dead-calm air. So I watched intently to see what would meander out of the garden and was rewarded with great views of this little neighbor of mine. This is only my second sighting of Rough Green Snake in the fifteen years I've had the property. And it was in nearly the same location; the first one I found was coming up the steps I was sitting on to take some of these photos.


Find the snake! (Click photo to bigify.)
Hint: it isn't in focus.



This species is relatively small, only a couple of feet long
and maybe as fat around as a "safety" crayon at the widest point...


Snake in goldenrod.


Vivid demonstration of why some butterfly caterpillars
(especially swallowtails) mimic snake eyes...