Tuesday, January 25, 2011

DIAMOND* ON THE BEACH


I'm speechless.


I'm so spitting mad, I don't know where to start.


If I hadn't recently brought in a little girl, I would have left whoever-these-folks-are a note on an empty cat house.


If we weren't having pecking-order issues a month after bringing in the new girl, I still may have left these folks with a note on an empty cat house…


At least--at the very least someone has left shelter and water for this lovely little girl. The food, however, looked like tuna (very bad for cats) and it wasn't the freshest.


The shop sign says they are open on weekends. But what about the rest of the week? She was so starved for attention that when she realized I was talking to her, she started across the road towards me--a dead-end road, to be sure, but what driver looking at the beach is going to see a little cat step out in front of them?


And what about the skunks and possums and raccoons who are all larger than she is?


What about the coyotes I know for a fact live in that neighborhood, for crying out loud?!


I'm an indoor-only cat person, if you haven't guessed it by now, and I barely tolerate indoor/outdoor feline husbandry.


But to leave a domesticated, needs-human-affection as much as shelter and food for its well-being, lovely little creature like this out on her own, especially in the winter, is…is….


...breaking my heart.



* For those of you not in the know, Sunset Beach is famous for its Cape May Diamonds--very pure quartz pebbles found on this particular beach. I know better than to name the strays...