Tuesday, August 17, 2010

THE "BIG" PICTURE

Of my front deck, that is.


I'm a homebody at heart. This is the front of my hermitage. Truly, what need have I to go any farther than my front steps?

Well, perhaps a wander about the yard wouldn't come amiss. Sunday morning I was up early and work opened late, so I took the camera for a stroll.


Another green frog, this one hiding in the original Puddle, a 55 gallon prefab pond I installed over ten years ago. (Still a vivid memory, and the reason the other, larger pond liner is still there in the garden where I tossed it years ago...)


A webworm. These things are everywhere this year, eating pretty much anything and everything.


Datana caterpillars. Not so cute and they only turn into a plain brown moth, but interesting enough hanging out on the end of a pin oak limb.

What I really wanted to find was a big fat green giant silkworm caterpillar (Cecropia, Polyphemus, whatever, I'm not picky) somewhere in the oak or maple or tulip poplar trees. I did catch a brief glimpse of a huge moth fluttering out of a maple one night weeks ago and the top of the young tulip is suspiciously bare, so I know they are out there.


Guess who was waiting for me in the middle of the front steps when I came home Sunday afternoon? Yup, BFT (The First) looking, well, fat. And quite colorful, really, with touches of red and even green.

What, I should start traveling again? Visit with people? Spend more than 12 hours away from home? Hah! In a pig's toad's eye, I will...


(Sorry, couldn't resist.)